6.23.2010

2010-06-23 Change is a Constant

First, I complained they changed my salad by changing grilled to fried chicken, now my salad is practically unrecognizable. But in a good way.
6/23 Change is a Constant

Went out again and found myself needing to pick up a quick lunch, so I went to my old faithful Chicken BLT from Wendy's. But today, I found that Wendy's went up-market and fancied up all their salads. Field greens instead of iceberg...actual crisp-tasting bacon...and (YES!) grilled chicken!

I admit, I looked at it for a while, trying to fight the automatic impulse to complain that every time I found something I liked, it never lasts...eventually someone changes it so it just isn't as good as before. No one can leave well-enough alone. It's the facial cleanser bottle that used to have a pump and now has an annoying screw-top; or the old car you had that just exactly held your plastic water bottle, while the new model is too snug. It's "New Coke" all over again whenever I see my favorites change. I don't seem to mind change in some parts of my life, but I am a personal product loyalist...the things I eat and wear on my face and body tend to get stuck in my mind. Nine times out of ten, when a product changes in any significant way, I end up finding a new product instead of just becoming loyal to the new bottle or formula or whatever.

I don't know why that is. It's like a zap to my brain that says, "Hey...it's time to renew your contract with Aquafresh...make sure you're not getting screwed...pick up some Colgate, and show 'em who's boss." Like they're ever even going to know.

Anyway. The salad was good. Even better than before, really. "Hmph. It doesn't *usually* turn out to have a happy ending..." she said sullenly as she shoveled in more salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment