9.13.2010

2010-09-13 Name that Food

OK, $50 if you know what this is:
P1130071.JPG

Well, not $50. Maybe $.50. Fiddy cent. [amusing self]

These are malanga. And they are tasty! I love when my grocery carries them because I do love to make these. To cook them you peel off the brown outside. You are left with creamy white potato-like substance. I like to boil it, and then when it's really soft, I make a mashed potato dish with olive oil. It's creamy and kind of earthy and delicious. I remember eating this when I felt sick. My mom would make this for me and, to this day, I crave malanga when I'm under the weather.

2 comments:

  1. i don't think i've ever had any (though I've seen them before). is the peel like ginger peel or is it more like coconut peel? it looks really tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more like ginger peel. it does come off with a regular peeler, but the strings can get caught on the outside, so I usually use a paring knife. It's basically a potato-ey substance. I love it!

    ReplyDelete