8.15.2010

2010-08-15 Come Back! (so I can eat you...)

On my way back from the Keys, the trip is no longer a leisurely affair, filled with the anticipation of fun and sun. It's a let's-hurry-up-and-get-this-over-with kind of situation. You consider how quickly you can drive past all the beautiful sights you saw on the way down. You've seen it all now, let's just get home.

I spent the morning doing a little shopping, then after executing an 57-point turn in the incredibly small hotel parking lot (it seriously looked just like this Austin Powers scene), I drove up US 1 and made my way home.

But not before I saw this:
P1110115

Hello!

What would prompt someone to make an enormous crustacean and plop it in the parking lot of a diner? It's sort of menacing, really. But I couldn't help stopping for a shot. if I could give you an idea of the scale, I could probably stand in the space under it's body.

I actually saw a lot of this type of stuff...not of this size, of course, but during my two days I saw several larger than life fiberglass animals throughout the Keys...from a flamingo to a tiger, these suckers seem to be pretty popular down this way. Hm...a new career?

2 comments:

  1. this is the craziest thing i have seen in a long time! i kinda wanna climb on top and pretend i'm riding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's totally fantastic...it's so weird because Florida is a very "kitchy" place...you see this kind of stuff a lot. I was somewhere the other day and didn't have a camera, and there was an ENORMOUS Florida Panther in front of some building. And I mean it was about the side of a single family home. On the east coast, there is a company that has a 2 story Blue Marlin stuffed and mounted in the middle of a fountain. Somewhere in central Florida, there is an enormous Alligator that's like a block long. Kitchy seems to fit well here.

    ReplyDelete