6.06.2010

2010-06-06 Dressing Diana

A friend and I visited a local museum for a look at their collection of dresses owned by Princess Diana. (pics taken with bberry camera as cameras were not technically allowed, so they're crappy)
IMG00126

I'm not what I would consider a super-fan or anything, but it was something I wanted to see. And here's what I found...

The dresses were just dresses with out her in them. She made all her dresses come alive.

For each dress, there was usually a picture of her wearing it, and it was remarkable...for each dress, I thought, "Well, this is pretty...but is this what a really fancy dress looks like up-close?" It just seems like the dresses were...just dresses. But the pictures showed that she really rocked her clothing. She filled out her dresses like nobody's business...taking these inanimate objects sitting on a mannequin and turning them into showpieces.

These dresses are part of the exhibit (photo from their website).
dresses
The middle one is sort of a peach sheath with a cream top. To look at, it's nothing major, but the picture of her wearing it was a knock-out. You'd never know it, but the back is a deep plunge and just looked incredible on her.

It was sad at the end to watch the stories of her death. I almost wish they hadn't done that and just the exhibit of her life. As I said, I'm don't hold her in any special regard or think of her in any meaningful way except for as a sad story. The exhibit did manage to show me a piece of this famous person, who had foibles to be sure, but really was just a person like any of us...she sent cute birthday cards, enjoyed her kids, did her work, liked to dance, faced disappointment, and more. Can't say that much different about the rest of us.

2 comments:

  1. this line made me laugh: "The dresses were just dresses with out her in them"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Talk about writing without thinking! Of course they were! HAHA! But you know what I mean -- they were just these inanimate objects, but in the pics, with her wearing them, they seemed to form part of the Diana "entity"...

    ReplyDelete