5.23.2010

2010-05-23 Dog Show!

I went to my first-ever dog show today! Granted, it wasn't exactly Westminster...no, it was a civic center that usually sees more tractor pulls than anything else. It was extremely interesting. And the dogs were absolutely lovely.
Fort Myers Dog Show 2010 5/23

May I make some generalizations and observations...

1. I was surprised at the fatness of the audience. Yes, I know that sounds judge-y, and if you saw me, I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but I have rarely ever seen so many large people congregated in one place. It wasn't the people showing the dogs...they're all very slim from running around with the dogs. It was the spectators. I stood behind one woman who are an enormous vat of macaroni and cheese while the dogs were being shown...fascinating.
2. A lot of the dog show-ers were young teens and twenties. I was kind of surprised. I guess I keep picturing the movie Best In Show. It was kind of fun to see young 18 year old girls dressed in business suits and Skechers, running around the arena with their dogs.
3. There were a ton of vendors there -- probably about 20 of them. I would say a good 3 or 4 were jewely makers. Is this your target audience? Dunno why I would bother setting up a booth at a dog show.
4. There were hardly any chairs for spectators. Practically everyone who was there had brought their own folding chair. What the hell? I stood for a loooong time before I found an empty one of the 4 or 5 folding chairs provided by the arena. Very weird.

Overall I thought it was really neat and I loved seeing the beautiful doggies going through their paces!

Here's the whole show -- turn on caption to see comments.

3 comments:

  1. love the photos! and am totally amazed by the jewelry vendors. hunh. i guess if they're there, they make a profit (don't they have to pay for the space?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess -- but literally no one was looking at the jewelry. Can't explain the presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. were they maybe canine themed jewelry? LOL. earrings like poodles, necklaces made of dog fur? (didn't you tell me there were vendors at stonehenge too?)

    ReplyDelete