3.14.2010

2010-03-14 Quiet Heroes

I went to an awesome performance of the Southwest Florida Symphony tonight! It's a show called Quiet Heroes. Described as: A musical tribute in honor of our veterans to mark the 65th Anniversary of the battle of Iwo Jima, featuring Chris Brubeck’s “Quiet Heroes” – a narrated symphonic suite based on the book Flag of Our Fathers.

And it's narrated by....Wilfred Brimley! Yes, of Quaker Oats and Cocoon fame!

3/14 Quiet Heros 3/14 Quiet Heros

It was extremely moving, and at some point, they asked all the vets to stand up and I got a little misty because they were all OLD! (This is Florida, after all). And then later they put up the house lights and asked if anyone had served in Iwo Jima. And there WERE!! I freaked out...very very choked up to see the old boys stand up.

It just makes you realize that WWII vets are really almost gone. It reminds me of the mini-series where the last confederate war veteran was dying. Even know, I think of Vietnam vets as being young, and they're really not. (Just like I'm not!)

Anyway...it was a great show and we saw it from beautiful loge seats that my friend got us.

No comments:

Post a Comment