9.19.2010

2010-09-19 Explanations

Imagine explaining to the tiny old lady who works at my favorite Japanese place why you are taking pictures of their lighting.
P1120073

She's a super-sweet lady, and when we used to come to this place much more frequently, she would come over and coo over my friends' babies, patted our backs as she served the tea and generally treated us in a friendly way. However, while she does it, she is usually yelling at her highest level. This is just how she talks. Like if she just speaks louder, she can get over the language barrier. And we find ourselves talking loudly, too.

Lady: Hallo! HOW YOU?
Me: Good, good!
Lady: YOU FRIENDS NO COME?
Me: Not tonight...BUT THEY WILL COME NEXT WEEK!
Lady: OK! YOU TELL I MISS!!
Me: YES! YES! I WILL TELL! (now, I'm speaking like her)

Oy. She's like an Asian version of my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment