9.06.2010

2010-09-06 Fading World

I continue today with a photo I actually took yesterday, because yesterday was a BIG photo day, and I had something left over to share. These are two shots of a part of "old Florida" that is fading away...so I hope I can capture it for the future.

On my way home from the Muck-About, we pulled over to take this shot of America's Smallest Post Office.
P1120067

This post office was made in 1953 after a fire destroyed the area's "real" post office. It was converted from an irrigation shed, and today a postal worker sits in there with her computer and her air conditioner and serves primarily the Native American Seminole and Miccosukee tribes living nearby.

And of course, I can't end a trip without seeing some giant animal made out of fiberglass, so please enjoy this 12-foot high Florida Panther...you're welcome.
P1120063

2 comments:

  1. is this panther by the roadside? b/c seeing it at night would make me crash. holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's set about 200 feet back from the road. It's definitely a bit disconcerting to see this giant cat. If I were standing near it, my head would probably be around the area of his tummy. Why do people build these things?

    ReplyDelete