5.08.2010

2010-05-08 Celebration Part 1

It's a weekend of celebrations...tonight we were at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa to celebrate my friends' 17th anniversary. We started off with some girlie drinks, while we waited for the gentlemen to arrive...
P1040007

We were observing the decor and boy is it elaborate...it's something like a medieval bordello. Fabulous!
P1040006

Anyway, back to the food.

That evening we were treated to a tasting menu of all kinds of soups, appetizers, champagnes and red wines...but then the main course was a delicious combination of steak and chicken. I couldn't even finish my plate of food. But oh, the steak was perfect and tender, and the chicken was so flavorful and fresh. We were so lucky to be there with regular customers, because the spread was amazing. The service was amazing, too.
P1040009

At Bern's, you have to make a separate reservation to go up to the Dessert Room on the 2nd floor. It's a beautiful room -- each table is in it's own enclosure, shaped like a floor-to-ceiling wine barrel. There, we were given a menu of about 10 pages of wines, liqueurs, coffees and desserts. Our waiter immediately brought us a tasting of a 100-year-old Madeira wine that was sooooo smooth. Then he brought us an amazing red dessert wine, whose name I cannot remember. We ordered dessert...I ordered the most incredible Macadamia Nut ice cream with hot fudge. It was the stuff of dreams. Seriously. My friend ordered a Baked Alaska. They prepared it tableside...and of course, they lit it on FIRE!!
P1040014

We finally waddled out of there around 11pm. Yes, folks, that's 4 hours of eating and drinking. I've rarely ever been so full, but it was a great dining experience. I was really upset that we didn't get to do the kitchen tour...guests are invited to see their amazing kitchen, cheese and wine cellars. They have more than 1 million bottles of wine underneath that building. I really wanted to see all of it, but I had to drive down to Bradenton that night for Celebration, Part 2.

Wow. If you're ever in Tampa, eat at Bern's. You won't regret it. And I'm going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment