2.18.2010

Photography Class Summary--Best of Neets as Voted by Neets

After seeing the photos my fellow students thought were worth a prize, I realized my own judgment of my work is very different. Its entirely subjective of course, but I really wanted to try to look at all my pics objectively and decide which ones really meet the remit of the class: to take artistic photos which have interesting color, contrast, composition and creativitiy.

So here are the ones I just to be my best from the class (and these do not include photos that I didnt choose to bring to class):

Peaceful Tension
I do agree with my classmates that this is a good shot. It has the peace/tension thing I was discussing in the last post, but it's also really clear and the light was just right.
2010-01-10 Goin' Shootin'

Dead Blue
I love the color from this blue gel. I feel like I'm being sucked into this one.
IMG_0930

Arteries
It could be the color from the pink gel mixed with the deep pink of the plant, but this just reminds me of the human vascular system. Almost produces an "Ewwww" reaction from me sometimes.
IMG_0925

Woven
We had to use objects like paper clips and rubber bands in unusual ways, and maybe I like this because I felt clever at having thought to weave the band into this plant. I like things that remind me I can be clever. It happens rarely.
IMG_0427

Spaceballs
OK, I'm giving that a humorous name, but I do love the little space-like globules of color in this. I was torn between this one, and one I call "Grapes," but this one edged the other out.
IMG_0722

Well, that's my top 5. For a beginner, it's not too bad, is it? I hope I can keep developing these skills. With the 365 Project, I plan to have a camera in hand every day, so there's nowhere to go but up! ; )

2 comments:

  1. wow! i love the arteries one too! but oddly the one above it (the blue) makes me think of clogged arteries too. you could do a themed show called, "before and after a scotch egg." Oh, and spaceballs looks so much like it could be marbles. Where did all the color come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Another post where I thought I answered the comment and it didn't stick!

    The bubbles shot is really complex. You take a glass pyrex pan and place it on top of some small cans which hold up the corners. Then you fill the pyrex with water and oil. Then in the space under the pan, you can put any object or fabric. This is one of my shirts. You can swirl the oil around to make different sized bubbles.

    ReplyDelete