1.31.2010

2010-01-31 The River of Grass

On my way back from Fort Lauderdale, I passed through the Everglades' Alligator Alley. It's a strip of I-75 from the east coast to the west coast. There is nothing there. For about 2 hours, all you see is the Everglades swamp and the occasional rest stop. (Back in the day, they didn't even have the rest stops...you had better hope you had hit a rest room and a gas station before you attempted the alley)

I took as few shots from my car and then decided to pull over because a lot of birds were congregating near the boat ramp.

The Everglades are called "The River of Grass" and if you drive through, you can see why.

P1010893

It's kind of dry looking because it's winter. And its filled with critters. I didn't see any gators that day, but I did see a couple of egrets and a wood stork (center):
P1010901

I might have to try this again with my nicer camera next weekend!

1 comment: